Greetings

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Wed Apr 9 06:43:34 EDT 2008

Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> I think the Installer on Windows also registers ioquake3 in the
> registry so mod installers there will find the correct place as well.
> So installing a mod is not more complicated that the engine.
>
> Of course installing as component of ioquake3 still allows you to use
> a custom startup script and desktop icon.

Yeah, we did both of these things for Trem when it was still a Q3 mod. I
accept that in this case Q3 was still a(n old) commercial game and Trem
required Q3 assets.

It all comes down to end user ease of use, where the end users are (no
offence anyone, but this is my experience) not much more computer
literate than a one celled organism. Having to install two things is an
insurmountable hurdle.

Technical/flexibility issues aside, if you had a portable distribution
platform for ioq3, I can almost see things working. Something like a
mini-Steam(tm).