[quake3] Greetings

Tony J. White tjw at webteam.net
Tue Apr 8 11:54:39 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 03:48:09PM +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> > If I add a new syscall to tremulous, should I also add it to ioq3?
> >
> > For instance, I'm currently in the process of adding a new syscall
> > trap_S_SoundDuration().  Should this be added to ioq3 even though
> > it isn't used by ioq3's cgame/ui?
>
> Well, if that's the syscall every mod developer always wanted and
> noone can live without anymore I guess it would be fine. I can't
> judge though.

Yeah, that's the problem.  All I know is that I need it for Tremulous.
I guess zakk has to decide if it is worth shoving down everyone else's
throats :)

> > Even though tremulous syncs from ioq3 as it's upstream,  it has a very
> > different set of syscalls because the botlib stuff has been removed, but
> > afaik this would be the first _added_ syscall.
>
> Are the removed syscalls the only engine modification of tremulous?
> I always thought it was more.

Aside from botlib removal, the other engine modifications are the same ones
that everyone else makes (AFAIK anyway):

1) remove all Quake 3 Arena pak/cd/auth checking stuff
2) change the BASEDIR
3) change the Windows and Mac icons
4) change the Makefile / build scripts
5) change the Quake 3 Arena hardcoded strings and paths

Any new engine features or bugfixes go into straight into ioq3 and then
get pulled into trem at a later date (e.g. GUID support, cURL support,
Mac OS X support, etc).

-Tony