[quake3] Greetings

Chris Bunting cbunting99 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 08:52:46 EDT 2008

> Though I suppose that if the QVM still runs on baseq3, we could keep our
> source closed, if we really wanted to.  So that might be a consideration
> for making an ioq3 mod instead of directly modifying the engine.  We're
> going full opensource, planned to do it since day one.

Hello,

One of the main reasons why I choose to stick to windows is only because
dll's are a bit more secure. The problem now days is that QVM's are not
secure. Do you know why punkbuster no longer supports Q3? I don't know for
sure but for mod authors along with all of the major game developers for
Soldier of Fortune 2, Call of Duty, UrbanTerror, World of Padman and many
others, their code is already out there whether the developers know it or
not right along with punkbuster's q3 code. QvmKanker is only one of the many
qvm decompilers. So really, unless you are going to rework the vm in
ioquake3 to be specific for your game, just using the standard qvm compiler
and the old q3 code will leave your mod or game freely open for disassembly.

Chris