[quake3] Greetings

webmaster at groundplan.com webmaster at groundplan.com
Sun Apr 6 11:58:42 EDT 2008

> http://wiki.ioquake3.org/Mod_or_Standalone%3F
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe, send a blank email to quake3-unsubscribe at icculus.org

Wow, didn't expect this to turn into such a debate :)

Bottom line is this. We want to do a stand-alone game. We will not need
access to any of the Id assets so therefore id's pk3 files are not needed.

In my opinion there is simply no point in just making a straight mod for
Quake 3. Why would anyone want to do that now? Making mods is a lot of
hard work. If we were to do an ordinary mod why would we choose the Q3
engine over a more modern engine such as D3 or UT?

The point is, access to the source gives you the opportunity to make
something a little different and does not require the end user to have the
copyrighted id materials. Many people may not have Q3, or may have lost/
misplaced their original Quake 3 cd. That being the case you are limiting
your audience. A stand-alone game is appealing precisely because it is,
well, stand-alone.

Each to their own though!

Cheers,

Tim