[quake3] Greetings

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Sun Apr 6 08:38:04 EDT 2008

webmaster at groundplan.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I wonder why people are so excited about making a "standalone" game
> > by compiling some snapshot of ioquake3 and renaming the binary.
> > What's wrong with having a mod for ioquake3?
>
> For two reasons I guess. Firstly, if you are going to all the effort of a
> total conversion why make it just a mod when you can deliver a complete
> package?

Sounds like a mod would be less worth than something that contains
binaries. The contrary is the case IMO.
- a separate game has to be configured separately whereas a mod
  inherits the initial settings (video mode, key binds) from baseq3
- a separate game has to be updated separately ie the user will not
  benefit from (security) fixes in ioquake3 immediately or never
- a qvm mod is platform independent, a huge benefit for users of the
  more exotic platforms/operating systems.

> Secondly, there will likely be changes in the binary that mean it
> won't work with ioquake.

That's unlikely for most games. Better concentrate your efforts on
making a good game rather than messing with the engine. Enhancements
and bug fixes should be included in ioquake3 directly so others
benefit from them as well.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Development