[quake3] semi automatic installer builds

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Thu Apr 3 04:00:57 EDT 2008

Zachary Slater wrote:
> Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> > Since the ioquake3 web site always offers rotten builds and users
> > keep asking ...
>
> Yes. I'd like to fix this through a cronjob that gets automated builds
> from somewhere.

For me it would be more convenient if I could just upload the files
somewhere. For uploading to ftp.suse.com I need to be in the suse
network ie at work.

> > I've uploaded the installers to
> > ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/lnussel/ioquake3 for now and intend to
> > update them every now and then.
>
> This is very cool, I recall the last time I checked this out the exe's
> were stuck into RPMs.

They still come from rpms. I wrote scripts to extract them.

> > Things I know zakk doesn't like:
> > - the installers are engine only so you need to install baseq3
> >   manually. The data files never change anyways so IMO a separate
> >   installer that installs them as sub component of ioquake3 is the
> >   solution here (same for "standalone" mods).
>
> I like how the windows pidgin installer (optionally) downloads aspell,
> then a dictionary, etc and puts it all together nicely. It'd be good to
> have something similar for baseq3, patch data, and a few other moddy
> choices for fun.

That doesn't need to be directly in the installer. IMHO something
similar to loki-demos would be cool. Instead of only displaying
installed stuff like loki-demos it could show what's available and
offer to download and install it.

> > So, that's it from my side. Any feedback whether this service is
> > useful and is worth continuing or whether I should better
> > concentrate on things I'm actually paid for is welcome ;-)
>
> Yes to working on this more.
>
> First person to write me a nice SAFE cronjob to mirror these to
> ioquake3.org wins cuddles from Timbo.

I've attached a q&d script that uses rsync and rpm2cpio to fetch the
packages from a buildservice mirror. You could run that in a cron
job. It has the disadvantages that you have to poll the server, the
mirror may take some time to pick up the builds and it's not
possible to add gpg signatures this way.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel