[quake3] Re: Videos not found :[

monk at rq3.com monk at rq3.com
Tue Sep 18 13:56:26 EDT 2007

> monk at rq3.com wrote:
>> It's just that the change in general seems arbitrary to me.  If some
>> people want this behavior on windows, ok, cool, it'd be neat as an
>> OPTION.
>
> Dude, you really need to use fewer words and repeat yourself less.
> Anyway, set fs_homepath to fs_basepath to get the old behaviour.

Yeah, I've been told it's a flaw of mine.

Zak might want to update http://ioquake3.org/?page=help to have that info.

The "make a shortcut to ioq3.exe and add ' +set fs_homepath e:\ioquake' to
the target field." bit.

I try to approach this stuff from the perspective of the end user who 1)
uses ioq3 as a "quake 3 client upgrade", 2) expects it to work like Q3,
and 3) doesn't read any help or documentation.

I disagree with the philosophy of putting settings in per-user folders as
a "security" aspect (mentioned previously) since anyone with physical
access to a machine can easily defeat any OS limitations on files, but I
realize that approach is not going to change nor is it the end of the
world.

I also disagree with changing the default behavior of stuff that a wide
variety of people know.  Yes, the end user could tweak the shortcut and
evoke a parameter they may or may not know.  But for people who don't read
instructions and want instant gratification, you might as well be asking
them to modify the source code themselves and recompile it on their
machine.  All it will do is confuse and frustrate them.

Maybe the windows installer can have an option there, if they want the old
behavior, it could make the shortcut default to that, if not it defaults
to the per-user stuff being discussed.  It's an idea, at least, and
doesn't require any changes to ioq3 code or behavior but still gets a
desired (by me, at least) effect in consistency with baseq3's behavior on
windows.

Monk.