[quake3] Re: Videos not found :[

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Tue Sep 18 03:55:42 EDT 2007

monk at rq3.com wrote:
> That being said, I was always used to Quake 2 and Quake 3 putting their
> stuff in the c:\quake3 folder.  Or c:\program files\quake3, etc.  I knew
> that no matter what, I could always look there to see what PK3s,
> screenshots, demos, and mods I had.  That sucker was self-contained.  If I
> needed to copy this stuff to a new computer, I could just copy the folder
> and BOOM, no jerking around with stuff except redoing the video settings
> and mouse sensitivity.

That's still the case. Provided that you have write access you put
everything you install (demos, mods, maps) into your global q3
installation directory. Only files ioq3 needs to write itself will
end up in the user's home directory (~/.q3a on linux). So you can
safely copy /usr/local/games/quake3 to another machine or export it
over the network without leaking private information (cdkey) or
bothering the target with your personal key bindings.
IMHO the additional separation of "app data" and "personal data" is
a good idea of Microsoft. That way you can easily exclude
reconstructable data (such as automatically downloaded maps) from
backups.

cu
Ludwig

--