[quake3] Re: Videos not found :[

Henry Garcia defsyn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 19:44:16 EDT 2007

> %APPDATA% is what MSDN claims is correct. The other way is just
> defacto. Ideally the installer should place a shortcut to it; then it
> doesn't really matter where it goes.

Another recommendation from Microsoft is to let the end user decide: give
him the option to store the data where he wants to store the data. There's
nothing more annoying to the end user of having the feeling that he's not
in control of the program: the program is in control of him.

I've heard it more than a few gripes about about things not being the way
they
used to be in Quake III. I think it would be in the best interest of the
program if
the program would accept the Windows recommended practice (%APPDATA%)
but give the user the option to change the location where he would like to
store
the data.

I know he has that choice already. But it's frustrating for someone who's
not
familiar with how to set up the parameters. Windows is finally catching up
some of the more secure practices of Linux, but Windows users--from the
sounds
of the gripes I've heard--are taking their time to adjust.

---