[quake3] DUAL SMP Compile Settings?

Tony J. White tjw at webteam.net
Tue Sep 11 10:16:25 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 07:13:53PM -0400, Henry Garcia wrote:
>    Was able to compile ioquake3-smp.x86 before on Linux with SVN 1150.
>
>    But with latest SVN's haven't been successful. With the new SDL updates,
>    is it still possible?

Currently r_smp will only work on Mac OS X because SDL 1.2 doesn't expose
the necessary handle for OpenGL context switching.  Mac OS X has some
functions that allow us to do this without SDL, but X11 does not.

SDL 1.3 will expose all of the necessary bits for OpenGL context switching,
but it's unclear as to when this will be released  and when ioquake3 will
move to it.

I have been playing with the idea of trying to rewrite r_smp so that
rendering is done in the main, and frames are processed in a thread
(the opposite of what is currently done).  However, at this point I have
no idea if this will work.

-Tony