[quake3] SVN_1173 fails to compile

vincent at cojot.name vincent at cojot.name
Mon Sep 10 15:12:22 EDT 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Tony J. White wrote:

Hi Tony,

> This is due to broken/incomplete OpenGL headers on your system.  I've heard the
> Solaris lacks a GL/glext.h header.

Yes, I reported that earlier here. Solaris/SPARC misses that file but the
NVidia drivers provide one for Solaris/i86pc.

> If this is the case, then SDL is using
> a built-in glext.h file from http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/

Ok, I didn't know that SDL would use that file.

> The SDL-provided header has all the necessary symbols, but they are only
> defined if your GL/gl.h file does NOT do something silly like:
>
> #define GL_ARB_multitexture

Yup, it's there:
$ grep GL_ARB_multitexture /usr/openwin/include/GL/gl.h
#define GL_ARB_multitexture                     1
#ifdef GL_ARB_multitexture
#ifdef GL_ARB_multitexture
$

> Unfortuantely, there is nothing we can do from ioquake3 to detect this breakage.
> The only option would be to include full OpenGL headers in the ioquake3 SVN for
> use with broken systems which may happen.

I know there's nothing ioquake3 can do about it but these headers weren't
required in the recent past of ioquake3. :( IMHO, it kinda defeats the
idea of a stable and portable code base (as opposed to more feature-rich
quake3 projects which are often windows-only or PC-only) which I thought
ioquake3 was.. :( I've seen that happen in the past with many great quake2
projects which added many features but lost non-PC platform portability in
the process. I cannot influence where ioquake3 is going but if that's
what's going to happen I have to rethink my strategy.

> In the mean time, check your gl.h file for that define and try commenting it
> out.

Well, I cannot change the system headers, they're SUN's implementation.
Only way to do that would be to open an RFE with Sun Microsystems.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to a current software contract.

I'll try to do more investigation tomorrow on some work machines...

Vincent