[quake3] Unified SDL branch

Henry Garcia defsyn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 20:51:38 EDT 2007

On 9/1/07, Tim Angus <tim at ngus.net> wrote:

> I've recently committed a new branch whose main purpose is to bring all
> the platforms together under SDL. I'd like to get this on the trunk as
> soon as possible, so some testing would be appreciated, particularly on
> Windows where there is the most change. Check the branch out with:
>
> svn co svn://svn.icculus.org/quake3/branches/unified-sdl/ ioq3-sdl/

This directory doesn't exist:  should be

svn://svn.icculus.org/quake3/branches/unified-sdl/

Is the above what you meant

You'll need an SDL DLL, placed in your Q3 directory:
> http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.12-win32.zip

Notice there is no change for flags using SDL in the mingw32 section?
Should there be?

Anyway, it compiled ok and ran on Windows 2000 with an Intel 82845 chipset.
using the above corrected directory and the SDL.dll file from above site.

SDL_Init (SDL_INIT_VIDEO) ok

appears in the console messages. So I take it SDL is running.

Comments
(1) Performance jump of about 30 % in frame rate.

(2) The brightness control doesn't work: gets brighter when I adjust it
down.

Good job. Looks like the first major improvement for Windows in quite
awhile.

There is no server console yet, so running dedicated servers with the