quake 3 bots

Sander Smid s.smid at chello.nl
Tue May 22 13:43:07 EDT 2007

HI,

As a newbie to the quake 3 source code I want to ask some questions that
hopefully can speed up a few modifications I have in mind for some of
the quake 3 bots. I'm a computer science student and I want to modify
the q3 bot source in a way that bots can ask for help when they're in
need in a TDM game. I have a few other ideas but they are all related to
this kind of problem.

Today I worked my way to the code base and made some modifications. My
first goal was to let a bot say something when he is fighting. I found
some code related to that in "ai_dmnet.c". But when I add code in there
which I tell the bots of the blue team to do the following lines of code
nothing seems to happen. As a matter of fact I haven't been able to let
the bots talk anymore then they're used to do with the original code.

if (BotTeam(bs) == TEAM_BLUE){
    BotAI_BotInitialChat(bs, "kill_praise", name, NULL);
    bs->lastchat_time = FloatTime();
    bs->chatto = CHAT_ALL;

    BotAI_Print(PRT_MESSAGE, "There should be some chatting here...\n");
}

I've read the thesis written by the guy from the "University of Delft"
but that paper doesn't go into details about the actual source code...
it describes the inner workings vaguely.

Perhaps some more experienced quake coders can give me a jump start?

Thanks in advantage,
San