[quake3] Questions about ioquake

Zachary Slater zakk at timedoctor.org
Sun May 20 13:57:39 EDT 2007

Chris Bunting wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was originally working with a different version of the Quake 3 engine
> but I like the fact that ioquake has a lot of bug fixes and such.
>
> However, I've noticed that the msvc versions have various issues, the
> source code still has the original pack checksum checks and is still
> fairly plain aside from the fixes.

MSVC: Submit patches, none of us use it and the last guy to work on it
bailed.

pk3 checksum checks: http://ioquake3.org/?page=help
Scroll to the bottom, and this is never changing. The game as shipped
and in svn is for running quake3: arena + mods.

> Are there any planned features in the
> future for this engine or is it pretty much as is? There is mention on
> site about adding rendering enhancements but I don't see anything aside
> from what has been posted in tutorials or forums. Is there any new
> original code in here anywhere?

Submit patches if you don't like something. Rendering patches would go
onto the patches page.

> Also, I see that curl and other server related features have been
> incorporated into the client. Why is this in the client and not
> incorporated into a Q3A dedicated server?

You don't need curl downloading in the server.

> Thanks,
> Chris

- Zachary J. Slater
zakk at timedoctor.org