[quake3] feature: advanced demo navigation

monk at rq3.com monk at rq3.com
Wed Mar 7 19:54:08 EST 2007

Sorry, I don't know how to do short emails!

Quake 2 had a working command called "serverrecord", if memory serves me
correctly.  KeyGrip2 was able to then manipulate that. I can't recall if
it could use it all directly or if it had to parse out each individual
player's demo into a separate file.

I was looking into this a few years back for RQ3 and do recall running
into MVD.  I think the people involved at the time, OSP and CPMA, didn't
really return my inquiries.  And, as Thilo points out, coding resources to
roll our own for the sake of machinima was scarce.

I also ran into OpenDemo:

http://www.machinima.com/opendemo/

Which seems to have morphed into LMPC or something:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lmpc
http://machinima.com/opendemo/blog/

Again, at the time, neither MVD, OpenDemo, or rolling our own solution was
attractive due to both lack of resources AND lack of supporting programs.
It's all well and good that you have an MVD or OpenDemo, but is there
something that can allow you to recam and edit?  I suppose LMPC does that,
now.  One of the main stumbling blocks of Q3 machinima and demo editing
was that the network stream (and hence the demos) was encrypted, if my
memory serves me.

Quake 2 was pretty mature for machinima.  For instance, the fabled
KeyGrip2 is actually still being used despite not being actively developed
for... 6 years?  Something like that, I believe:

http://jitspoe.planetquake.gamespy.com/tutorials/keygrip2.html (short
recamming tutorial)
http://z-studios.com/tutorials/keygrip2-tutorials-quake-2/

It's been years since I used it, but I believe KG2 used Quake 2 as its
render engine.  I recall needing a separate install of Q2 so I could play
around with KG2.

Are there any specs or anything released for MVD for Q3?  All I find are
QuakeWorld stuff.