[quake3] feature: advanced demo navigation

Neil Toronto ntoronto at cs.byu.edu
Wed Mar 7 18:11:34 EST 2007

These are called "Multi-View Demos" and (IIRC) OSP mod was the first to
do them. (CPMA and Ultra Freeze Tag (mine) did it, along with probably a
few more.) It consists of three parts:

1) Send *every* entity to the player taking the MVD, not just those in
the PVS (potentially visible set)
2) Mark the demo as an MVD by setting a configstring
3) Enable the cgame keycatcher when playing demos back if playing an
MVD, interpret keystrokes

This can be as easily done in a mod as in the engine. If the engine did
it, it would do basically the same thing. One good argument for doing it
in a mod is that the mod can better control who is allowed to make an
MVD. Recording an MVD is a great way to maximize the effectiveness of a
wall hack.

Neil