[quake3] About adding (VoIP) voice chat support

Ahmed MANSOUR 911freak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 07:42:20 EDT 2007

Joerg Dietrich a écrit :
> Ahmed MANSOUR schrieb:
>> Hi guys,
>> For quite some time i have been wondering if it is possible (and
>> useful) to add voice chat support to the engine.
>> I think it would be a great enhancement to the game to add VoIP to
>> the client and server code, because I think it is more pratical to
>> to speak than to chat using keyboard while playing. And it won't
>> break the backward compatibility, and we can use some GPL'd VoIP soft
>> code like OpenWengo in the game to do that.
>> What do you think?
> Additionally there exists no platform independent sound recording API
> like SDL for sound playback.
> You would need to programm this separately for every supported OS.
There is many sound recording tools (e.g Audacity) that are cross
platform and open source, so i conclude that sound capturing is platform
independant.
> Then you would need to open some side-channel(s) to the VOIP-server or
> your VOIP-peers, which is difficult
> with the existing Quake3 networking code.
wel, I never heard of something like xfire that is both free software
and cross platform, and also by integrating the VOIP code into the
engine many games will benefit from it openarena, urban terror, world of
padman... and all other ioquake based games, it may even make ioquake
more popular by adding this feature.