[quake3-commits] r1095 - trunk

vincent at cojot.name vincent at cojot.name
Sat Jun 2 13:57:34 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, DONOTREPLY at icculus.org wrote:

> * Assumptions are already made that the compiler used is GCC, so it seems silly
>  to make per-platform exceptions in order to make the IS_GCC test work. Instead
>  just rely on $(CC) being set by the system (i.e. make) and it being GCC. If
>  this causes problems on any platforms please discuss it on the mailing list
>  or IRC

Hi Tim,

I cannot log onto irc at this time so I am posting here.

I agree that per-platform defs are silly but the trouble with SunOS is
this:

The only 'cc' on SunOS is /usr/ucb/cc (not in the PATH by default)
/usr/ucb/cc exists by default and is just a shell script that points to
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc (Sun Compiler) if it is installer, otherwise it
complains that no compiler is installed. GCC (even the sun-provided
version), when installed, is just 'gcc':

root at balifor:[~][71]# uname -a
SunOS balifor 5.10 Generic_125101-08 i86pc i386 i86pc
root at balifor:[~][72]# which cc
no cc in /sbin /usr/sbin /usr/sfw/sbin /usr/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/dt/bin /usr/openwin/bin /usr/sfw/bin /opt/sfw/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/bin
root at balifor:[~][70]# /usr/ucb/cc
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed

However, even the Sun-provided GNU software (under /usr/sfw) points to
'cc'by way of 'gmake' setting CC as 'cc'.

root at balifor:[~][74]# which gcc
/usr/sfw/bin/gcc
root at balifor:[~][75]# which gmake
/usr/sfw/bin/gmake
root at balifor:[~][73]# gmake -p /dev/null |grep ^CC
CC = cc

Therefore, unless you provide a global CC=gcc in the makefile, the above
hack is really my only way to make the makefile point to GCC (I am unsure
if the Sun Compiler will be able to compiler ioquake3 at this time).

Please consider reverting 1095.

Thanks,

Vincent