[quake3] Re: Auto Downloads

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Wed Jul 25 02:57:20 EDT 2007

monk at rq3.com wrote:
> If you want a Q3-based free game that just "works" with autodownloaded
> content, look at Enemy Territory.  I guess that's not a huge security
> problem for them.  Or looking at UT2K4, pretty much every server I connect
> to I can get custom content without batting an eye and I don't recall

ET is probably even worse as it's able to use shared libs contained in pk3
files IIRC. Ie you don't have to exploit some buffer overflow or vm deficiency
but can conveniently write malicious code in C and put it in a shared library.
Games in general are not designed for security, it's advisable to run them as a
user different from the one you do your daily work with.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel