[quake3] Re: Auto Downloads

Dirk noisyb at gmx.net
Tue Jul 24 12:10:28 EDT 2007

Erik Kloppenburg wrote:
> mister fork wrote:
>> and for the users that dont read help files : it is their problem. but
>> they
>> really should
>> they must read http://ioquake3.org/?page=help after downloading ioquake3
>> binary from the ioquake3.org
>
> This is not a realistic expectation imho :)
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe, send a blank email to quake3-unsubscribe at icculus.org

EVERYONE wants NEW content WITHOUT having to read some BS docs!!!

Why are we the only ones who believe that...

USING IOQUAKE3 SHOULD BE LIKE PLAYING A GAME

...? I learn while I play!

All I ask for is to set the default value of g_allowdownloads from 0 to
13 (http, not udp).

Values:
1 - ENABLE
2 - do not use HTTP/FTP downloads
4 - do not use UDP downloads
8 - do not ask the client to disconnect when using HTTP/FTP

That is such a small change. It wouldn't break A N Y T H I N G!!!!!!

Everyone who doesn't realize that this is the most needed change in the
client has never played new maps or the great mods out there.

The ignorance not to agree that g_allowdownloads is the key to ioq3 (and
all depending on it) real potential is unbeliveable.

Saying "They could change that!" is like asking for a fork.

I really see myself forced to ask you (who doesn't agree) if you ever
played that game with maps and mods that are not included in the
original version.

I have 3G of 800+ new maps!!!!! And I can practically delete them
because after 7 years the Quake3 is open source but the developers STILL
refuse to * * R E W A R D * * mappers and mod developers by changing the
default of g_allowdownloads???????

R E T A R D E D !!!!!!!! (sorry)

Really, give in and change that frickin' value. And when the userbase of
ioquake3 (and the others) increases nobody will show up and tell you
"See I told you so! You were not smart enough to do the change without
having people beg you!!! hahaha..."...

NO! Instead they'll be happy with the MOST IMPORTANT NEW FEATURE:

**** User friendly and fast (http) downloads of NEW content. ****

Dirk