PyQuake3 on SourceForge

Neil Toronto ntoronto at cs.byu.edu
Sat Jan 6 02:09:34 EST 2007

A few items:

1) Florian Ludwig (dino4k) has joined this previously one-person project
as a developer and source control admin (since I suck at such things). I
still retain the title of Benevolent Dictator For Life. He brings with
him significant development experience (especially in Python) and a lot
of interest.

2) We're forking. (Sorry!) We decided it would be a major
version-control PITA to maintain this project as a patch. However, since
we don't expect very many changes in ioquake3 to affect us at all (ours
is mostly new files and a few hundred scattered lines of glue code in
areas nobody likes to touch), we'll roll in ioquake3 deltas whenever you
fine people make a stable release. Our project is hosted here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyquake3

3) The client game renders everything properly and plays all sounds.
It's only missing the HUD and scoreboard. If you want to try it out, do
it this way:

svn co https://pyquake3.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pyquake3/trunk
pyquake3 -r 7

We expect not-inconsequential changes in directory structure, so things
may break. You're safe with revision 7. In addition to the normal
ioquake3 prerequisites (X11 dev, SDL, OpenAL dev, etc.) you'll need
python2.4-dev, python-profiler, and possibly python-pyrex. (Those are
the Debian and Ubuntu package names.) I'm afraid it only compiles
properly on Linux, but that will change.

To play the Python cgame, you'll need to set sv_pure 1 and vm_cgame 3.
If you don't see a HUD, you're running it.

4) I've run some timedemos to compare QVM client performance with the
Python client performance. On four.dm_68 (eight players, q3dm6) on my
junky Intel-card laptop, I get 62 FPS for the QVM and 49 FPS for Python.
Not bad at all.

Neil