[quake3] Re: internationally accepted toggleconsole bind

Ian Kumlien pomac at vapor.com
Tue Feb 6 13:53:07 EST 2007

On mån, 2007-02-05 at 18:01 -0800, echon at echon.org wrote:
> IMHO Doom3 and Quake4 did it best. It's ctrl+alt+tilde unless you have
> com_allowConsole set to 1. This allows you to use tilde as a bind key, say
> it in chat, and preserve the console's availability. Though I have no idea
> how this would do on other keyboard types. The console is more a developer
> thing anyways, you're doing something wrong if your players have to
> regularly use it. :)

Tilde is a bad choice, tile is a character modifier on most if not all
latin keyboards. Ie, to write a tilde i have to do 'altgr' + <diaeresis
key> and then space. Which would make that keyboard combination ctrl alt
altgr diaeresis...

Keyboard layout and tilde use in languages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilde#Diacritical_use

--
Ian Kumlien <pomac () vapor ! com> -- http://pomac.netswarm.net