Banning using ioQuake3.exe

XslauGt8 (Simon) xslaugt8 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 23:47:10 EDT 2007

G'day folks,

Haven't replied but have been reading through the progress with ioQuake3.exe
(been playing Q3 & Q3 Based Mods since release, Admin for the biggest Urban
Terror servers in Australia. (1 using ioUrbanTerror.exe & 2 more about to be
trialed with ioQuake3 +fs_game).

K, currently we have a player base of approximately 50 to 100 Unique players
per night across three servers, & the ban system is non existant, cheatings
everywhere, abuse is  way up & there isn't much players can do about it.
Frozen Sands ( www.urbanterror.net ) have done a great job IMO bringing a
stagnent game back to full throttle with the release of Urban Terror using
the ioQuake3.exe as it is now a free game (Thanks majorly too you guys, very
good work all round).

I'm not very good when it comes to scripting / modding etc, but I know what
we'd need to help keep ioQuake3 servers running smoothly & enable future
mods to be managed with minimal fuss. I don't know if what I'm thinking will
be possible, but heck if anyone would know I suspect it may be one of you
guys.

1)      Generate a Unique ID Based upon some hardware based Unique ID such
as a NIC MAC Address (It's not 100% due to some manufacturers giving users
the ability to change their MAC address via BIOS etc, but it is very much
better than simply IP Banning, as IP's in Australia can be changed simply by
disconnecting then reconnecting the Modem/Router)

2)      Players taking a Demo of another player that is using a 3rd Party
Cheat, such as DVS need to be able to give a Unique ID to the Admins with
the Demo so that action can be taken to remove the player from the servers
perminantly (catch about 2 cheats per week at the moment, aim bots, wall
hacks glowing skins, all diff IP ranges, not to mention the amount that
other players find but can't prove whom it is as they can't access the
players IP or GUID since PB is not longer available)

Thanks & keep up the good work guys.

Simon a.k.a. XslauGt8

For those familiar with Punkbuster, the old pb_plist would show player slot,
players score, players ping, players GUID, & any player could grab it, not
just admins. But for obvious reasons, players will not be shown the IP's of
other players.