Hacked download menu

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Thu Aug 16 22:58:50 EDT 2007

Hello,

I needed to do a few hours of research, trying to find out how to do this the
best way without breaking compatibility. I think I have come up with
something that works completely engine-side and in the end it is actually
only few lines of code that needed to be changed, but it kind of is more of a
hack. It generally uses the simple error printing mechanism from the ui files
that indicate errors for like when the server kicked you or the server has
shut down. I attached the patch. Just connect to a server (I put up a
temporary one at kickchat.com:27961) that you can test the patch with - it
has web download enabled and working. If you don't have that map yet, it will
ask you first whether to download it or not.

It depends on the mods whether this works or not. Generally, it will work with
foreign mods if not too much code has been changed from the original id one,
but this should be the case for all mods that were developed based on the
original id engine.
The patch is attached.

Opinions please.

--