[quake3] Off-topic: mods and game engine coders

Tei oscar.vives at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 14:26:04 EDT 2007

On 8/7/07, monk at rq3.com <monk at rq3.com> wrote:

> Sorry for this being off-topic, but I thought it somewhat relevent to the
> blokes on this mailing list.  I ran across this article the other day:
>
> http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=489
>
> Specifically, some of it addresses the role of "game engine" projects in
> relation to mods and other actual content projects.  It was interesting to
> hear about a project outside of the Q3 ecosystem that also has a game
> engine project that everyone benefits from with collaboration and whatnot.
> Also, how the mod in question would probably have not existed if it were
> not for that dedicated game engine project.

you sould invest some time reading about Lord Havoc's DarkPlaces games

"Nexuiz"
"Transfusion"
"God or Bad"
"Nehara" and the 3 hours long machinima "Nehara, The Movie"
etc...

I myself tried to make the engine (Telejano) as self-supported as posible.
So It only need one extenal file (the console graphic). DarkPlaces also do
that, so It only need ...nothing. You just add your files. So making a stand
alone is easier. With my engine (Telejano), 3 comercial games where created.

I have invest some time, the latest 4 years, pimping the concept "Stand
alone", and I think nowdays is well stablished. Even If is a somewhat murky
concept ;D

Tomaz also created the "CleanQuake", that is attemp to privide a clean base
to create total conversions. Is related to the topic, very important.

How many projects now are leveraging the hard work of everyone on the ioq3
> project?  Tremulous, padman, urban terror, elite forces, some other
> projects?
>
> You guys are making a difference and are helping many projects with your
> work.  As much as I like to rag on y'all about older format/graphics
> stuff, if it weren't for you guys providing a solid base, who knows how
> many projects would just be untenable?

Hope this continue, and create a stable base for grown. The Q3 engine is
maybe the better engine out here for Deathmach. IMHO.

So kudos to you.  I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for all
> the hard work you've done for the community!
>
> Monk.
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe, send a blank email to quake3-unsubscribe at icculus.org

--Tei