Mac Universal Binaries

Jorge Peña jorgepblank at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 16:15:12 EDT 2007

Hey guys, you probably remember me asking about how to build on Mac, well I
got it and it's working perfectly! However, if you remember correctly, I had
to remove the i386 targets for the bash make script because it wouldn't
build. Well, it turns out that now someone else on a Mac Intel wants a copy,
so I at first figured that I would have to re-build the whole thing on their
computer, and well, they're not really computer oriented and they might not
be as happy to have me SSH into their computer as my other friend would. So
I asked if this was necessary inside #mac freenode, and they said that if
they are Universal Binaries then they should work just fine. I was wondering
how that was so, so I looked here [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_binary ], I found out that basically
it consists of binaries for both architectures within the same 'package',
and the host computer automatically chooses the correct binaries. I was
wondering if it was possible to build binaries for both architectures on
PPC, and I read this [
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/adoptinguniversalbinaries.html ] which
seemed to say it was possible. However I remembered that I removed the
i386/Intel targets in the make bash script (Not the makefile, but the make
mac bash script) because it wouldn't build. I found a document from Apple
that helps with building a universal binary here [
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/universal_binary/universal_binary.pdf].

I think the reason that it didn't build last time was because I had PPC
versions of the dependencies (I remember it arguing about mismatching
architectures), so that's why I'm wondering if you guys know how to build
Intel versions of the dependencies. My other question is, am I right in all
of this? Does the ioquake3 Makefile usually automatically create the
Universal Binaries? I think so, because I think I remember it building
without complaining before I added all the dependencies. I'll try to look
for 'Universal Binaries' of the dependencies in the meantime, but I first
want to make sure I'm right in all this before I go through more of a waste
of time. Thanks guys I really appreciate it!