[quake3] Freeze! & Installers

Tony J. White tjw at webteam.net
Mon Sep 18 11:44:10 EDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 04:34:00PM +0100, Harsha Sri Narayana wrote:
>    It seems my less than exhaustive testing previously didn't prove enough.
>    I'm not sure if it's the same problem, but I saved the terminal output and
>    I saved the error report produced by osx.
>
>    Tony asked if I was using non standard pk3 files.  I have mods installed
>    and I'm trying to connect to a server which would require that mod; I
>    think it was excessiveplus.  Is that what you meant?
>
>    I have an updated osx and I'm using rc2.

I will test with the excessiveplus mod.  It sounds like there is a bug in
the PPC vm code that this mod exposes.

>    ps.  Why is it that I need to put all my mods and pak files in the
>    /Library/Application Support/Quake file rather than in the normal
>    /Application folder?  It's almost as if that's the real q3 folder and the
>    one in applications is just a front.

It's ~/Library/Application Support/Quake3/.  Note the "~/" which mean's a
user's home directory.   This allows for multiple users to use the
same system without overwriting each others settings or polluting the
system gamedata.  This behaviour is not Mac specific, only the directory
name changes between win32 and *nix platforms.

-Tony