[quake3] Re: Unsatisfactory handling of sound falloff and source culling in ioquake3

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Mon Oct 30 15:41:06 EST 2006

On Monday 30 October 2006 20:25, Tim Angus wrote:
> I'm slightly worried that you're treating the symptom here as opposed
> to addressing the cause. Or my system at least the distance model
> defaults to AL_INVERSE_DISTANCE_CLAMPED. Perhaps
> AL_LINEAR_DISTANCE_CLAMPED would be better? Certainly much more like
> what you've done with this patch.

I am aware of these distance models, but have decided to stay with the default
one in the patch for these two reasons:
- As of now, ioquake3 only uses the 1.0 openal specification which is nice for
compatibility
- The inverse distance model is more realistic if seen physically.

I am not quite sure which distance model it uses in original quake3, but there
you'll see that there is a very sudden dropoff of sound volume as soon as you
reach a certain distance from the sound source. My patch does this a bit more
gracefully with a nearly linear decrease only at the end of maxdistance.

> The fact that we don't explicitly set the distance model anywhere (with
> alDistanceModel) is probably most of the problem here. It would
> certainly explain why the attenuation is apparently fine for some
> people and horrible for others.

I have had several reports from Windows users of my Eliteforce builds where
users would hear everything extremely quietly. Putting up all sound sliders
in windows wouldn't help so maybe this is the reason for this.

> Any chance you could use mime encoding for PGP signatures
> (application/pgp-signature) ? Just a pet peeve of mine :p.

Will do.

--
Thilo Schulz