[quake3] Unsatisfactory handling of sound falloff and source culling in ioquake3

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Fri Oct 27 12:58:11 EDT 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 20:20, Thilo Schulz wrote:
> I'd like to change this behaviour to a more realistic one and cheat protect
> the variable s_alRolloff.

I have done some tinkering and made sounds that are too far away completely
inaudible. This is the original behaviour so it won't give you unfair
advantages over other players.
Please try out the attached patch and tell me what you think.
There are four variables to play around with now when you start maps with
devmap (otherwise they're cheat protected).

- s_alRolloff has been changed from 0.8 to 3 which makes for a quicker sound
falloff.
- s_alMaxDistance has been introduced that gives the distance from where on
the gain gets scaled linearly to 0
- s_alGraceDistance is new and is the length where this scale to 0 happens
- s_alMinDistance is unchanged but affects the way sound gain changes as well.

Feel free to test for various settings and if you think the default ones from
this patch should be changed, tell me. I'd like settings that don't differ
too much from the original, though.

--
Thilo Schulz