[quake3] Mp3 support patch

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Thu Oct 5 03:50:20 EDT 2006

Zachary J. Slater wrote:
> If you really feel that the code is solid, and won't change much, apply
> it to the trunk, but not the rc branch. I have no qualms about mp3
> decoding support being bad (I was never concerned about patents) at this
> point, neither Tim nor Ludwig have voiced opinions for or against (I'd
> like one or both of them to do so).

My only concern is adding more compile time options. A binary
compiled with this patch enabled would not run on a default SUSE
Linux (and other commercial distros) due to lack of libmad. I doubt
anyone wants to ship libmad with their installer so an ioquake3 with
mp3 support would be annoying for novice users. In order to
optionally support mp3 it would be better to have sound codecs in
shared libraries and dlopen the snd_codec_t interface.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Development