[quake3] Mp3 support patch

Paul Gnuyen gnuyen at gnuyen.org
Wed Oct 4 12:37:16 EDT 2006

That's probably iffy legal under the GPL, linking to a non-free library
like that would probably require a specific exemption from the copyright
holder.  That is a non-free library that isn't "normally distributed"
with the major components of the operating system etc.  If this patch
linked to gstreamer on linux, quicktime on mac, and whatever abstraction
windows has, you're probably in the legal clear.  Fluendo has a licensed
binary mp3 codec on linux which is free for distribution and use, so it
would be legal everywhere as well.  Also, a programming headache for a
feature with dubious usefulness.  Transcoding to vorbis is probably the
sane thing to do on those few cases where only mp3 sources are
(legally?) available.