[quake3] Broken GLX? (possible solution?)

JoeHill joehill at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 29 21:19:58 EST 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:22:35 +0100
Thilo Schulz got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> Looks like your HW-accelerated libGL.so kinda got replaced by Mesa Software
> GL. Reinstalling the accelerated, hardware-specific drivers should do the
> trick.

Okay, I tried the PLF NVidia binaries again, followed the instructions, and
again got:

Calling SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO)...
SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) passed.
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 3: 640 480
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
SDL_SetVideoMode failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
SDL_SetVideoMode failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Couldn't get a visual
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
Sys_Error: GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Okay, so I reenable 'Load "GLX", even though the PLF installer says *not* to.

Calling SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO)...
SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) passed.
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 3: 640 480
SDL_SetVideoMode failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
SDL_SetVideoMode failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Using 8/8/8 Color bits, 16 depth, 0 stencil display.
GL_RENDERER: Mesa GLX Indirect

 You are using software Mesa (no hardware acceleration)!
 Driver DLL used: libGL.so.1
 If this is intentional, add
       "+set r_allowSoftwareGL 1"
 to the command line when starting the game.
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
Sys_Error: GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Huh?? Howz that possible? It's referencing a file that is from NVidia, AFAICT.

[joehill at node1:~>$]locate libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.0.8776
/usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1

all of which were installed by NVidia. They are not Mesa libs.

So, my question is, if it's saying 'Driver DLL used: libGL.so.1', what is it
looking at, and why is it seeing that file as a Mesa lib?

[joehill at node1:~>$]rpm -qa | grep mesa
[joehill at node1:~>$]rpm -qa | grep Mesa
[joehill at node1:~>$]

No Mesa here...

Sorry if this is getting tiresome, lemme know if you feel this is just not your
issue to deal with. I'm not sure myself where this falls, but I know that
this is the only place I've found where the *only* answer *wasn't* to 'reinstall
the NVidia drivers'.

Thanks guys.

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046