[quake3] Freeze on game exit

Tony J. White tjw at webteam.net
Wed Nov 29 12:46:13 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 10:45:02AM -0600, Joel Parker wrote:
> I'm getting a freeze when I try to exit the game. I click Exit on the
> game menu, then get the credits screen. When I click my mouse there to
> finally exit, though, the game and my mouse cursor both freeze. I then
> need to use ctrl-alt-backspace to get out of the game (and X).
>
> This is with the standard ioquake3 Linux binary from the website (the
> one from 1.34 rev 989) on Ubuntu Edgy. It happens with both Q3 and Team
> Arena.
>
> I've attached the console log from when I run the game.

> ioQ3 1.34-rc2 linux-i386 Sep  5 2006

You're not running the latest, that would be:

ioQ3 1.34-rc3 linux-i386 Nov 28 2006

> Started tty console (use +set ttycon 0 to disable)
> ----- CL_Shutdown -----
> ----- CL_Shutdown -----
> Shutdown tty console

That's odd, it should be:

Started tty console (use +set ttycon 0 to disable)
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
Shutdown tty console

The renderer not shutting down is the problem, but I can't see how that
would happen and can't reproduce.

Try using the rc3 binary to see if it still happens.

Also does it happen every time, and does it matter if you exit before

-Tony