[quake3] Broken GLX?

JoeHill joehill at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 28 14:24:19 EST 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:22:35 +0100
Thilo Schulz got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> Looks like your HW-accelerated libGL.so kinda got replaced by Mesa Software
> GL. Reinstalling the accelerated, hardware-specific drivers should do the
> trick.

Okay, this goes from 'oh crap' to 'oh f#$@', to now...WTF??

I was experiencing other issues with my OS, so I thought, hell, let's start
clean.

Yep, clean install, didn't take long, but...

Same problem. GLXGears gives me no errors and reports 900 fps fullscreen, 3000
at the default size, so GL *is* working on *some* level.

Tried every suggestion I could find on the web, tried all different versions of
NVidia drivers. Even tried the DKMS version from PLF, those were the worst, but
did give some interesting error messages:

Calling SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO)...
SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) passed.
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 3: 640 480
SDL_SetVideoMode failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
SDL_SetVideoMode failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
Using 8/8/8 Color bits, 16 depth, 0 stencil display.
GL_RENDERER: Mesa GLX Indirect

 You are using software Mesa (no hardware acceleration)!
 Driver DLL used: libGL.so.1
 If this is intentional, add
       "+set r_allowSoftwareGL 1"
 to the command line when starting the game.
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
Sys_Error: GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Got rid of *those* right quick. Now the game will run again, but still renders
the textures using software.

Reconfigured xorg a million times, deleted or renamed all q3 config files, is
there any other config possibly lurking in my /home? Something to do with mesa?

This just does not *make any sense* (like the 'Chewbacca Defense'). I am at a
complete loss as to how to proceed, if there's anything anyone can think of to
try, I'm willing. I *really* want my ioquake3 back (I was up til six AM fighting
with this)...

Thank you for listening... :-)

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046