Mac OS X

Dietrich Epp depp at zdome.net
Sun May 21 01:53:20 EDT 2006

I'd like to try to clean up the Mac OS X code.  These are the first
issues that came to mind, in order.

- Quake 3 no longer searches its own directory for data.
- Error messages only go to the console.
- Widescreen displays' native resolutions are not supported.
- The graphics are simply broken.

Are there other Mac OS X coders?  Might I step on someone's toes if I
start submitting patches? Here's how I would clean up Mac OS X support:

- I would create a code/macosx directory with an Xcode project.
- I would ditch SDL.  Honestly, it breaks user interface expectations
on Mac OS X.
- I would make the code much like Quake and Quake II from http://
fruitz-of-dojo.de/.  Those ports really behave the way you'd expect a
Mac OS X game to behave.

Unfortunately, I don't know how much time I'll be able to spend on
this, and I'm kind of flaky.

--Dietrich