PNG support alive an kickin'!

Joerg Dietrich Dietrich_Joerg at t-online.de
Mon May 8 15:27:14 EDT 2006

Hello,

today I got Quake3 running with all JPG and TGA textures and 2D graphics
converted to PNG. Only the textures of MD3 models did not work as PNGs.
I have tested PNG support on x86-32 Linux, x86-32 Windows built with
MinGW and MacOS on a PowerPC Mac mini. It compiled and run flawlessly.
64 bit support is untested but it should work too.
The PNG image loader doesn't need external libraries, I wrote my own
PNG parser, so no libpng is necessary. For decompression I use puff()
a small, in-memory inflate function from the contrib directory of zlib.
The memory management is done by Quake3, so there should be no leaks.
GtkRadiant 1.5 and q3map2 support PNG out of the Box. Just one  small
change in the configuration file q3.game is necessary because GtkRadiant
"wrongly ;)" assumes that Quake3 doesn't support PNG images.
I hope that PNG support will be included in the official ioquake3 svn,
of course after the release and codefreeze. The source needs some
cleaning and than I will upload it to Bugzilla.

Joerg