[quake3] R_RemapShader buffer overflow fixed

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Sat May 6 05:44:15 EDT 2006

On Saturday 06 May 2006 10:05, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> To make exploits like this one harder it's a good idea to run the
> client with NX enabled btw :-)

Correct, but NX protection is still corrupting windows, that means quake3 can
effectively not be run on these systems. Apparently they need calls like
VirtualAlloc with certain flags that does similar things as
mmap()/mprotect().

More info:
http://www.mail-archive.com/perl6-internals%40perl.org/msg18460.html

http://www.microsoft.com/germany/msdn/library/windows/windowsxp/ImplikationenFuerDenEntwickler.mspx?mfr=true
(german)

As my 64 bit evaluation edition has expired for like 3 months already I have
ordered my copy of Windows XP from my uni and would fix it next week if
there's noone faster than me :)

--
Thilo Schulz