[quake3] Music Quits: subversion 669

Neil Toronto ntoronto at cs.byu.edu
Mon Mar 27 15:19:55 EST 2006

Henry Garcia wrote:

> Keep on receiving this message:
> ERROR: while buffering data for music stream - invalid name
>
> Also, see a similar message in console, but it ends with "invalid data."
>
> Using SDL, Openal, configured for BUILD_CLIENT = 1, BUILD_GAME_SO=1,
> and BUILD_GAME_QVM=1--server and smp are disabled in the build.
>
> Sometimes the music starts up on the maps, but it eventually quits.
>
> Music plays in the regular quake3.x86 file. And this has been going on
> for a quite a few of the subversions. Or, I just recently noticed
> this. Tested on several different sound cards: ES1371, Au8820, au
> 8830, Maestro3. Same results.
>
> Using Debian Sarge on an Dual CPU Pentium III -500, kernel 2.6.15.6

I came across a bug like this while hacking up the engine. The sound
engine periodically reuses the name of the music file, but it doesn't
make its own local copy. Therefore, either the VM game needs to make a
persistent copy of the music file intro and looping names, or the sound
engine needs to make a local copy. (The latter is obviously more correct.)

This problem sounds very similar. I didn't report it because I didn't
consider that the memory holding the name would change within the Q3 VM
game.

Neil