[quake3] Optimizations for IA32

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Thu Mar 23 03:42:07 EST 2006

> In any case SMP isn't truly supported, and won't be as long as it can't
> work with SDL.

To be clear, it's not SDL that's the problem here, it's that the Linux
3D drivers see a loss in performance with SMP (and possibly there are GL
  and GLX implementations that aren't thread safe). Dual CPUs will not
help, either.

We could wedge glX code into the sdl_glimp.c to switch between contexts
like we did for Mac OS X, but it won't help. It helps on the Mac because
Apple went out of their way to optimize the SMP codepath specifically
for Quake 3.

--ryan.