[quake3] Re: Mac OS X

Mike Davis only_mortal at mac.com
Wed Mar 22 18:43:59 EST 2006

On 23 Mar 2006, at 00:23, James Lacey wrote:

> Well, if we want go the app bundle route, we can use MojoPatch to
> create
> easy-to-install patches for the app bundle. But I am not sure of the
> usefulness of that, since you would have to provide a dmg with the app
> bundle for first-time downloaders anyway.
>
> Just so I know I am on the same page, did id release a Quake 3 OS X
> application bundle at some point? The only thing I ever downloaded
> from them
> was strictly the binary executables that you had to copy into your
> Quake 3
> folder (created from the "Classic" installer). If there was an
> official OS X
> application bundle, then MojoPatch seems like a good way to go to me.

Yes, they released a number of .app wrappers for OSX built using GCC.
It was an update that required an original CD (Mac or Windows). The
pk3 files are not in the app wrapper but in a directory. Graeme
Devine did the ID work.

Mac developers (i.e. Aspyr) built CFM apps that ran on OS9 and OSX
(Carbon). Jedi Knight 2, RtCW and Elite Force are examples. They
chose to use CodeWarrior though they're using GCC (XCode) nowadays
(Doom3 for example).

ID built OSX (mach) Cocoa applications. ID have/had some NeXTSTEP
experience with Doom 1 which I recall well. If you look at the ID Q3
wrapper, there's a nib file in it and if you otool the binary you can
see AppKit classes and an application delegate in use.

BTW, OmniGroup did a mach version of the Q3 engine for SoF2. I'm
under the impression they were involved with Quake 2 and Quake 3
ports in the past.

Are we interested in supporting major mods, like JK2 and so on? I
know the network protocols are different and I've not seen enough of
the sources to see if there's a real difference.