[quake3] Re: Mac OS X

Zachary J. Slater zakk at timedoctor.org
Wed Mar 22 18:43:57 EST 2006

Mike Davis wrote:
> Not sure what you're referring to but I've built a universal binary with
> the SDL framework (from source) and not the SDL dylib and it works fine
> *except* that the audio needs to be set lower because of a crash in
> Apple's OpenAL. I didn't try it with Ryan Gordon's OpenAL.
>
> If someone wants me to construct a universal binary let me know. I'm
> happy to supply both single processor and smp versions too and have
> access to PPC (dual 2Ghz G5) and Intel (iMac) systems. I can even host
> the download.
>
> The installer would be a bit tricky as you essentially have to "patch"
> the original Quake 3 app. Since there're at least two for OSX (G3 and G4
> variants) it gets a bit curly. It might be simpler to write a simple app
> that "patches" a user selected binary (i.e. something simple in AppKit
> that allows the user to specify the application to "fix"). That would be
> easier to do than some magic shell scripts for a pkg. If we could
> provide the whole .app packages with nib files and so on that'd be very
> convenient though the makefile doesn't generate such a wrapper and I
> don't know the legal implications.
>
> FWIW, I even have the possibility of getting PunkBuster back in the
> equation and, in theory, each OS they support. A guy on quake3world.com
> contacted them when I was writing about the performance tests I did for
> Q3 builds.

No punkbuster unless I hear directly from even balance, even though I
don't see how it could happen. I understand it would make many users
happy to have it, even if it isn't the best solution, it is the only one.

For the installer I'd rather install to a different directory than the
id default of /Applications/Quake3/, I'd prefer like the windows
installer does and set up a new /Applications/ioquake3/ directory with
the .app in there along with baseq3/etc dirs.

No "fix" things please, I don't want to screw with people's regular
quake 3 installs.
--
- Zachary J. Slater
zakk at timedoctor.org