[quake3] Re: Mac OS X

Mike Davis only_mortal at mac.com
Wed Mar 22 18:13:09 EST 2006

Not sure what you're referring to but I've built a universal binary
with the SDL framework (from source) and not the SDL dylib and it
works fine *except* that the audio needs to be set lower because of a
crash in Apple's OpenAL. I didn't try it with Ryan Gordon's OpenAL.

If someone wants me to construct a universal binary let me know. I'm
happy to supply both single processor and smp versions too and have
access to PPC (dual 2Ghz G5) and Intel (iMac) systems. I can even
host the download.

The installer would be a bit tricky as you essentially have to
"patch" the original Quake 3 app. Since there're at least two for OSX
(G3 and G4 variants) it gets a bit curly. It might be simpler to
write a simple app that "patches" a user selected binary (i.e.
something simple in AppKit that allows the user to specify the
application to "fix"). That would be easier to do than some magic
shell scripts for a pkg. If we could provide the whole .app packages
with nib files and so on that'd be very convenient though the
makefile doesn't generate such a wrapper and I don't know the legal
implications.

FWIW, I even have the possibility of getting PunkBuster back in the
equation and, in theory, each OS they support. A guy on
quake3world.com contacted them when I was writing about the
performance tests I did for Q3 builds.