[quake3] Mac OS X

Zachary J. Slater zakk at timedoctor.org
Wed Mar 22 17:27:55 EST 2006

James Lacey wrote:
> I think there needs to be some discussion on this. The original Mac Quake 3
> installer was an OS 8/9 application so if anyone used this installer (even
> in OS X), there going to be a folder created similar to other platforms.
> There won't be an application bundle. While I like application bundles, the
> user would have to be savvy enough to open up the bundle and put the
> pak0.pk3 file in the proper location. If we do a .pkg installer, we can
> write the binary to the directory the game was installed in and if the user
> installed off of the CD previously, everything will work.
>
> Anyway, that's my two cents. I was planning on working on the .pkg Friday
> but if everyone likes the app bundle better, that is cool too.
>
> James

When I had id quake 3 running on OS X it had a modern (ran on tiger)
installer, though it didn't copy the pak0.pk3. This was just the patch
in a sit or whatever I got from id's ftp and mirrored at some point to
i.o/q3.

Anyway, yeah it installed a directory in /Applications/ with a similar
layout to windows/linux's quake 3 directories, but with a .app at the base.

I'd pretty much like to mirror that, since people are going to want to
install mods and such, and yeah, I want this to work for the LCD of users...

So I still want to see exactly what Vincent has done, before coming to
the conclusion that it is awful.

--
- Zachary J. Slater
zakk at timedoctor.org