Optimizations for IA32

Henry Garcia insidepoolhenry at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 14:24:44 EST 2006

Does it matter if you set up different options for the ia32 on linux or Win32 in the Optimizations sections: e.g. instead of  -march=i586 use -march=pentium3 , athlon-xp, k8, etc? Have someone reporting they can't get ioquake* working whatsoever on a dual CPU Athlon64 running Win2K.

Also, why is the variable for BUILD_CLIENT_SMP for MingW-32 reset to 0 in the MingW section?

I got smp to work on a single Pentium4 by setting USE_SDL to 0, said 'it succeeded', [ it ran slower, but then again it's not really a dual CPU, just multithreading] My dual Pentium III CPU Windows2k station is down after using that Driver Cleaner from the 3dfx italian website.

SMP runs fine on Linux. Dual Pentium III. Just that the sound really breaks up when things get hectic in the action: using an au8830 chip with 2.6.15.6 kernel and the latest dri modules from cvs.

Sound is considerably better using SDL without the SMP on Linux.

Hank