[quake3] Rendering nothing

Neil Toronto ntoronto at cs.byu.edu
Fri Mar 10 03:59:50 EST 2006

Neil Toronto wrote:

> It doesn't render anything - not even the console. There are two ways
> I've found to get it to do so:
>
> - Pressing K_ESCAPE or MOUSE2 when the UI game has full control (not
> during the opening cinematic or in the in-game menu overlay). This
> pops the menu off the stack and reinitializes it. I haven't got a clue
> why this should work the *second* time but not the first.
> debug build sometimes works. Again, clueless.

Turns out I was wrong on both counts.

- After the UI's opening cinematic, the CD key menu pops up (invisible).
Dismissing that - drawing the main menu - was what fixed it.
- It has nothing to do with loading a map from the command line, and
everything to do with drawing the head model in the status bar.

After poking around, I discovered that it only renders properly after
having ONCE been told to render a scene smaller or larger than the
screen size. (On the main menu, it's a scene containing the "Quake III
Arena" logo, and on the status bar, it's a scene containing the player's
head model.)  I'm working on a engine/game mod that doesn't draw a
status bar, so here's my hack in cg_draw.c:

    if (!doneHack)
    {
        doneHack = qtrue;
        cg.refdef.height--;
    }

    // draw 3D view
    trap_R_RenderScene(&cg.refdef);

I hate it, but it works. Anybody got any bright ideas? Any reasons why
this would happen, aside from "you've got a flaky card, bub?" This
doesn't happen in any other 3D application I have, though it does in
ioq3 using both SDL and GLX.

By the way, the latest Mesa DRI driver (compiled from source) didn't fix
it. The card is an Intel 855GM, which uses the i915 module.

Neil