[quake3] Rendering nothing

Neil Toronto ntoronto at cs.byu.edu
Thu Mar 9 20:33:10 EST 2006

Sam Noble wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 11:28 -0800, Zachary J. Slater wrote:
>

>>Neil Toronto wrote:
>>

>>>Alrighty, it was the garbage graphics card. *sigh* I'll try software
>>>rendering.
>>>
>>>Still, I'd like to see this working even on the laptop.
>>>
>>>Neil
>>>
>>>Neil Toronto wrote:
>>>

>>I /think/ I had this working on my intel 855 GM chipset on my old thinkpad.
>>

>The game runs fine on intel cards.
>
>Do you have drm setup and working right?
>
>$ glxinfo |grep direct
>direct rendering: Yes
>
>If not it's often caused by the drm module loading before the agp
>modules. Try creating in /etc/modprobe.d/ that contains the line:
>
>install i915 /sbin/modprobe intel-agp; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install i915
>
>replace i915 with the correct drm module for your system, (i810, i830,
>i915)
>
>And then force those modules to load at boot by adding a line
>to /etc/modules with the drm module's name.
>
># echo i915 >> /etc/modules

It seems I have the reverse problem. DRI is ostensibly working fine, but
it's not rendering until some magic process happens. I just tried it
with software rendering (commented out 'Load "dri"' in xorg.conf), and
it works fine, though it's extremely slow.

I'll try installing the latest Mesa from source next.

Thanks,
Neil