Mac with Intel C++

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Wed Jun 21 10:16:46 EDT 2006

Mike Davis wrote:
> If I can get it to work, I'll post some benchmarks, offer any source
> changes for Quake 3 (it's stricter than GCC 4) and the edited makefiles.

In case you don't know already; you'll want to run/compile Q3 with the
virtual machine support disabled, at least initially as this is all GCC
specific and it highly unlikely to compile with ICC.

> I seem to recall someone claiming some significant performance
> increases with icc (30-40%). Might have been the Mathematica guys. I
> think it was at an Apple Keynote or so.

I doubt you'll see much improvement to be honest. In terms of Amdahl's
law, the Q3 binary itself (i.e. the bit you'd be compiling with ICC)
represents a relatively small fraction of the total problem. Good luck
though ;).