[quake3] Continuing to have OpenAL crashes

ewe2 ewetoo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 11:01:11 EDT 2006

On 6/16/06, Tony J. White <tjw at webteam.net> wrote:
> > ^3Restarted OpenAL music

> Does that "Restarted OpenAL music" message spam in your console during play,
> or just print twice right before the crash?
>
> I don't seem to be having this problem with my ppc mini (also running 10.4.6),
> but maybe I just haven't played for 40 minutes at a time yet.

Ok, two things: firstly, i am testing the missionpack singleplayer
levels, and the one it seems to really have trouble with is the
overdose level. During that level, in fullscreen and outside the
debugger the game seems to deal ok with openal restarts but gets
progressively more trashed and eventually crashes, typically with the
hit-sound beeping everywhere. I just tried a smaller level in the
debugger and it crashed within minutes, with the typical segfault and
no openal restart. I tried again with another small level and got
through it but by that time the same problems were cropping up and it
would have crashed had i not quit the game.

So, to answer your question, it seems a matter of how badly the
buffer(s) is trashed when that message pops up as to whether its
impending doom or not. At least I'm starting to see that message
instead of a straight crash every time. It seems less stable under the
debugger for some reason.

--
Emacs is an alright OS, but it lacks a decent editor.