qvm and dll confusion

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Mon Jun 12 22:30:21 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I have been doing some reading on the Quake 3 model and have found out
that it implements a QVM approach with effectively is like a byte-code
interpreter if I understand everything correctly. This approach allows
the MOD's to run on multiple platforms without recompiling which is a
good approach in many ways.

My concern is that, for the specific project that I am trying to develop
a small MOD for, I need a way not to run through the interpreter and
from a standard DLL perhaps since I will be adding some non standard
gaming code and even embedding a scripting language interpreter myself
which will have a particular purpose.

Yea, I know that some of you are asking yourself "why would this guy
want to do that?"  Well, it's because the project that I am working on
is utilizing the icculus Quake 3D engine for a non-gaming purpose and to
build a "proof-of-concept" demo for a 3D environment with some very
special features and which will be running on the Linux platform.

This why I was asking in the past if someone on the list could help
guide me with setting up a "special" MOD that is basically a stripped
down mod of the standard Q3 SDK and which would not have the Bot, and
gaming components but would have a few other components that I am trying
to work on as well.

Anyway, back to the basic question, ok.

Could someone please tell me a little more  as to if it is even possible
to just have standard DLL's (.so files on Linux) for my MOD so that I
can include other non-standard code?

Also, if anyone is a little more interested in this project then please
let me know since I could use all of the help that I can get and also
the sources will be releases to the public in the Open Source model
after the Alpha or Beta version are running well.

Thanks again for all of the great help from the forum.
Cheers,
Lonnie