[quake3] Mac OS X Universal Binary (2nd try)

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Thu Jun 8 04:42:01 EDT 2006

On Jun 7, 2006, at 23:48, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

> On Thursday 08 June 2006 06:57, Tony J. White wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:25:46PM -0700, Daniel Lord wrote:
>>> Received signal 10, exiting...
>>
>> My last build caught signal 4 when loading the x86 vm, so I
>> assumed this was
>> the same problem that was giving WinXP SP2 users grief with the
>> NoExec (NX)
>> thing. I was hoping I could just piggy-back on the linux version
>> of the NX vm
>
> Does quake3 work with dlls or the interpreter? What do signals 4 and
> 10 mean on MacOS?

OS X is mostly NetBSD UNIX, so...

[daniello at mercury.local]$ man 3 signal
SIGNAL(3)                BSD Library Functions Manual
SIGNAL(3)

NAME
      signal -- simplified software signal facilities

LIBRARY
      Standard C Library (libc, -lc)

SYNOPSIS
      #include <signal.h>

      void (*
      signal(int sig, void (*func)(int)))(int);

      or in the equivalent but easier to read typedef'd version:

      typedef void (*sig_t) (int);

      sig_t
      signal(int sig, sig_t func);

DESCRIPTION
      This signal() facility is a simplified interface to the more
general
      sigaction(2) facility.

      Signals allow the manipulation of a process from outside its
domain as
      well as allowing the process to manipulate itself or copies of
itself
      (children).  There are two general types of signals: those that
cause
      termination of a process and those that do not.  Signals which
cause ter-
      mination of a program might result from an irrecoverable error
or might
      be the result of a user at a terminal typing the `interrupt'
character.
      Signals are used when a process is stopped because it wishes to
access
      its control terminal while in the background (see tty(4)).
Signals are
      optionally generated when a process resumes after being
stopped, when the
      status of child processes changes, or when input is ready at
the control
      terminal.  Most signals result in the termination of the
process receiv-
      ing them if no action is taken; some signals instead cause the
process
      receiving them to be stopped, or are simply discarded if the
process has
      not requested otherwise.  Except for the SIGKILL and SIGSTOP
signals, the
      signal() function allows for a signal to be caught, to be
ignored, or to
      generate an interrupt.  These signals are defined in the file
<signal.h>:

      No    Name         Default Action       Description
      1     SIGHUP       terminate process    terminal line hangup
      2     SIGINT       terminate process    interrupt program
      3     SIGQUIT      create core image    quit program
      4     SIGILL       create core image    illegal instruction
      5     SIGTRAP      create core image    trace trap
      6     SIGABRT      create core image    abort program (formerly
SIGIOT)
      7     SIGEMT       create core image    emulate instruction
executed
      8     SIGFPE       create core image    floating-point exception
      9     SIGKILL      terminate process    kill program
      10    SIGBUS       create core image    bus error
      11    SIGSEGV      create core image    segmentation violation
      12    SIGSYS       create core image    non-existent system
call invoked
      13    SIGPIPE      terminate process    write on a pipe with no
reader
      14    SIGALRM      terminate process    real-time timer expired
      15    SIGTERM      terminate process    software termination
signal
      16    SIGURG       discard signal       urgent condition
present on
                                              socket
      17    SIGSTOP      stop process         stop (cannot be caught or
                                              ignored)
      18    SIGTSTP      stop process         stop signal generated from
                                              keyboard
      19    SIGCONT      discard signal       continue after stop
      20    SIGCHLD      discard signal       child status has changed
      21    SIGTTIN      stop process         background read
attempted from
                                              control terminal
      22    SIGTTOU      stop process         background write
attempted to
                                              control terminal
      23    SIGIO        discard signal       I/O is possible on a
descriptor
                                              (see fcntl(2))
      24    SIGXCPU      terminate process    cpu time limit exceeded
(see
                                              setrlimit(2))
      25    SIGXFSZ      terminate process    file size limit
exceeded (see
                                              setrlimit(2))
      26    SIGVTALRM    terminate process    virtual time alarm (see
                                              setitimer(2))
      27    SIGPROF      terminate process    profiling timer alarm (see
                                              setitimer(2))
      28    SIGWINCH     discard signal       Window size change
      29    SIGINFO      discard signal       status request from
keyboard
      30    SIGUSR1      terminate process    User defined signal 1
      31    SIGUSR2      terminate process    User defined signal 2
      32    SIGTHR       terminate process    thread interrupt

      The sig argument specifies which signal was received.  The func
procedure
      allows a user to choose the action upon receipt of a signal.
To set the
      default action of the signal to occur as listed above, func
should be
      SIG_DFL.  A SIG_DFL resets the default action.  To ignore the
signal func
      should be SIG_IGN.  This will cause subsequent instances of the
signal to
      be ignored and pending instances to be discarded.  If SIG_IGN
is not
      used, further occurrences of the signal are automatically
blocked and
      func is called.

      The handled signal is unblocked when the function returns and
the process
      continues from where it left off when the signal occurred.
Unlike previ-
      ous signal facilities, the handler func() remains installed
after a sig-
      nal has been delivered.

      For some system calls, if a signal is caught while the call is
executing
      and the call is prematurely terminated, the call is automatically
      restarted.  (The handler is installed using the SA_RESTART flag
with
      sigaction(2).)  The affected system calls include read(2), write
(2),
      sendto(2), recvfrom(2), sendmsg(2) and recvmsg(2) on a
communications
      channel or a low speed device and during a ioctl(2) or wait
(2).  However,
      calls that have already committed are not restarted, but
instead return a
      partial success (for example, a short read count).  These
semantics could
      be changed with siginterrupt(3).

      When a process which has installed signal handlers forks, the
child
      process inherits the signals.  All caught signals may be reset
to their
      default action by a call to the execve(2) function; ignored
signals
      remain ignored.

      If a process explicitly specifies SIG_IGN as the action for the
signal
      SIGCHLD, the system will not create zombie processes when
children of the
      calling process exit.  As a consequence, the system will
discard the exit
      status from the child processes.  If the calling process
subsequently
      issues a call to wait(2) or equivalent, it will block until all
of the
      calling process's children terminate, and then return a value
of -1 with
      errno set to ECHILD.

      See sigaction(2) for a list of functions that are considered
safe for use
      in signal handlers.

RETURN VALUES
      The previous action is returned on a successful call.
Otherwise, SIG_ERR
      is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate
the error.

ERRORS
      The signal() function will fail and no action will take place
if one of
      the following occur:

      [EINVAL]           The sig argument is not a valid signal number.

      [EINVAL]           An attempt is made to ignore or supply a
handler for
                         SIGKILL or SIGSTOP.

SEE ALSO
      kill(1), kill(2), ptrace(2), sigaction(2), sigaltstack(2),
      sigprocmask(2), sigsuspend(2), wait(2), fpsetmask(3), setjmp(3),
      siginterrupt(3), tty(4)

HISTORY
      This signal() facility appeared in 4.0BSD.  The option to avoid
the cre-
      ation of child zombies through ignoring SIGCHLD appeared in
FreeBSD 5.0.

BSD                              June 7,
2004                              BSD